Depression is very common – as many as 1 in 6 people are estimated to have suffered from depression symptoms. The good news is there is a depression treatment with hypnotherapy. When you’re depressed, you may have feelings of extreme sadness that can last for a long time. The depression feelings are severe enough to interfere with your daily life, and can last for weeks or months, rather than days.
- Types of Depression
- There are many different types of depression including clinical depression, dysthymia, post natal depression, reactive depression, SAD and anxiety depression:
- Clinical depression
- also known as major depression - which lasts for at least 2 weeks
- milder depression symptoms than clinical depression, but may last longer – over 2 years or over 1 year in children
- Post natal depression
- depression symptoms which can last for several weeks or even months - most cases start within several weeks but it can start up to 6 months after birth
- Reactive depression
- a reaction to circumstances ie bereavement, divorce or redundancy – where the feelings have not lessened over a period of time
- occurs in a cyclical and seasonal pattern, usually during autumn and winter and disappear during the spring and summer months. The depression symptoms are the same as with other types of depression.
- The depression test
- it is usually said that if a person has a persistently low mood that significantly influences their everyday life and has been present for two weeks or more, and there are also three/four or more other symptoms of depression you are likely to be suffering from depression.
There are some common symptoms of depression which include psychological, physical and social symptoms.
There are very many different symptoms of depression including psychological, physical and social symptoms:
- continuous low mood or sadness
- feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
- increased pessimistic thoughts
- low self-esteem
- feelings of guilt
- feeling irritable and intolerant of others
- lack of motivation and little interest in things
- difficulty making decisions
- lack of enjoyment
- suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming someone else
- feeling anxious or worried
- reduced sex drive
- Physical symptoms of depression:
- slowed movement or speech
- change in appetite with significant weight loss or weight gain
- unexplained aches and pains
- lack of energy or lack of interest in sex
- changes to the menstrual cycle
- insomnia - disturbed sleep patterns (for example, problems going to sleep or waking in the early hours of the morning)
Social symptoms of depression:
- not performing well at work
- taking part in fewer social activities and avoiding contact with friends
- reduced hobbies and interests
- difficulties in home and family life
Depression & Anxiety
These are often linked as one can lead to the other. Depression can result in increased anxiety and long-term anxiety can lead to depression.
There is a very special form of hypnotherapy called Pure Hypnoanalysis which has helped thousands of people over the years. The aim of Pure Hypnoanalysis is not symptom control or trying to manage the problem, the aim is to resolve it.